[T10] Well, my friends, it’s time to say goodbye :(

Jim Hatfield james.c.hatfield at seagate.com
Tue Sep 6 14:46:15 PDT 2022

Well, my friends, it’s time to say goodbye :(

I am beginning a new phase of life: retirement.

Please give your support to these highly qualified people who are continuing our standards work:

NVMe:                   Gerry Houlder (primary voter), Curtis Stevens

SATA-IO: Digital:   Curtis Stevens (primary voter)

SATA-IO: Board:    Curtis Stevens (president)

T13:                       Curtis Stevens (primary voter), Victor Taberski, Gerry Houlder

T10 (SAT):            Gerry Houlder (primary voter), Curtis Stevens, and Victor Taberski

OCP Storage:       Curtis Stevens, Gerry Houlder

TCG:                     Anthony Duran (remains the primary voter)

It’s not a bad thing or a good thing…. It’s just a change.

I’ve been in the computer business for 50 years, and it’s been a deliciously fun ride !

Along the way, I have written programs on optically read cards (with pencil), typed my programs on IBM punch cards, designed a spacecraft computer with a still-unique instruction set, written firmware for HDDs and tape drives, created/designed/wrote/tested an operating system (by myself) in assembler, written a database manager from scratch, designed three microcode simulators in assembler, written firmware, created a client/server system for calculating shipping charges, and wrote code for radio-enabled handhelds used by utility workers.

My work in the Wonderful World of Standards has been a blessing and a joy !

I’ve had the pleasure and honor to have been a strong influence in writing standards for HDDs, SSDs, tape drives, and computer storage security. I have been blessed that so many people have entrusted me to represent them in standards development. In our collaborations we have accomplished A LOT!!! That has really been the pinnacle of my career. Thank you all for letting me serve you. I intend to continue some security standards work on my own.

I have written drivers for card readers, CRTs, printers, paper tape readers, SSDs (in 1978 !), tape drives, and hard drives. I’ve had the pleasure to work with PDP, IBM S/360, CDC 6400, and x86 CPUs and their related operating systems.

I still feel the incredible RUSH of writing a random seek program for a dishwasher-sided hard drive…. And watching it actually bounce and move across the room!  And it was ALL my doing. Bwa Ha Ha Ha !!!

Such an incredible sense of power! That power never left. I usually come home from work with more energy than when I left.

… and I got into this career by accident…

Back in high school and college, I was a practicing astrologer. When I cast my own chart, it told me that my ‘dream’ career was something to do with electricity and communications. That meant nothing to me in 1970.  I did some Basic and Fortran programming in high school. Fast forward to 1975. I took a statistics class and we needed to use computers. I found that when I did my computer homework, I didn’t fall asleep like I did with other classes. I took another computer class, and the same thing happened. I took it as a sign and jumped headfirst into the wonderful world of computing… and created my home there.

Goodbye to deadlines, commuting, and sitting on zoom/webex calls most of each day.

Hello to more traveling, geocaching, family time, MATHCOUNTS, math projects, more volunteering (I can’t help myself), and to starting a new non-computer related business, and writing a musical!

Thank you for sharing this journey with me !!!

So long and thanks for all the fish! 😂

I will be hanging out at The Tasty Weasel after 3 pm on Friday Sept. 16. Come join me and let’s celebrate !!!

       Oscar Blues Tasting Room:    1640 S Sunset St, Longmont, CO 80501

Jim Hatfield

iamworthit at gmail.com<mailto:iamworthit at gmail.com>

720-771-8914

Thank You !!!
Jim Hatfield
Seagate Technology LLC
   e-mail:  James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com<mailto:James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com>
   s-mail:  389 Disc Drive;  Longmont, CO 80503 USA
   cell...: 720-771-8914

Seagate Internal