[T10] Should the 6 byte MODE SELECT and MODE SENSE commands be obsoleted?

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Wed Mar 16 08:00:17 PDT 2022

I would like to start a discussion at the next T10 meeting about obsoleting the 6 byte MODE SELECT  and MODE SENSE commands. SBC-5 in particular has several pages devoted to maintaining the short block descriptor (4 byte number of logical blocks field) that is no longer useful with the capacity being shipped in many products today.

It has been suggested that many utilities in the industry still use the 6 byte commands. Obsoleting the commands won't absolve targets from supporting the obsolete commands for a while yet but should send a message to hosts not to use them when a better option exists.

Another option is to just remove the 6 byte commands from SBC-5 but leave them in SPC-6. This half measure would achieve my goal but the result might be messier than obsoleting them altogether.