[T10] ZBC-2 complications for obsoleting 6 byte MODE SELECT / MODE SENSE commands

Ralph Weber Ralph.Weber at wdc.com
Thu Aug 4 16:57:33 PDT 2022

With Respect To the following September CAP Agenda Item:
7.1.2    SPC-6 SBC-5 Obsolete the 6 byte MODE SELECT and MODE SENSE commands (22-063r2) [Houlder]

The WD Engineering review concluded that the real world will see almost zero difference whether or not the proposal is implemented.

The only exception to the above being the plethora of complaints about "taking away valuable commands."

Yes, we standards wonks know what "obsolete" means, but we are the exceptions, not the rule.

To be sure, the WD engineers lauded the spirit behind the proposal, but these good vibes gave no measurable boost in support for the proposal, which was dragged down by remembrances of the READ(6) actions.

FWIW I have been instructed to vote "Abstain" on any approval motions for 22-063r2 or its progeny.

All the best,
.Ralph