[T10] T10 Plenary meeting via WebEx
james.c.hatfield at seagate.com
Mon Mar 30 07:06:37 PDT 2020
I suggest that we all watch how the T13 meeting in April goes to determine what the appropriate course of action should be.
T13 has scheduled 2 full days of telecon. It should be 'interesting'.
Thank You !!!
Seagate Technology LLC
e-mail: James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com<mailto:James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com>
s-mail: 389 Disc Drive; Longmont, CO 80503 USA
From: t10-bounces at t10.org <t10-bounces at t10.org> on behalf of Ralph Weber <Ralph.Weber at wdc.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 5:27 PM
To: t10 at t10.org <t10 at t10.org>
Subject: [T10] T10 Plenary meeting via WebEx
The current Jeopardy discussion on this reflector reminds me that a few salient observations regarding T10 Plenary meetings might be worthwhile.
As many observers have noted, CAP meetings are not easily ported to WebEx.
* WebEx does not support four persons yelling at each other simultaneously.
* WebEx tends to make playing Solitaire a comparatively inconsequential distraction, compared to the dog eating one’s keyboard.
* Few participants have found an eight-hour WebEx conducive to useful information transfer, with two-hour WebEx meetings frequently being cited as the functional max.
Given this background, consider the situation with a T10 Plenary.
* A two-hour T10 Plenary is considered by many (including the chair) to be excessively long.
* There is only one presenter (i.e., the vice-chair drives the projector, nee WebEx for the entire meeting).
* Aside from splitting some CAP documents into separate motions, the discussion from the floor is nil (limited primarily to making and seconding motions).
* Shouting matches are few and far between (once every 18+ months, it seems).
* Although some of the content is not spell-binding, the rapidity with which the agenda is processed limits an attendee’s ability to multi-task during the brief time when the Plenary is in session.
In a nutshell, a T10 Plenary is a perfect candidate for its own (separate link) WebEx meeting.
Who knows! Maybe the May T10 Plenary success will motivate T13 to form a Working Group/Plenary pair for its meeting weeks too (i.e., devotees travel to the site, merely-interested parties connect to the Plenary WebEx).
All the best,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the T10