[T10] Revisiting the RMB (Removable Medium) bit definition

Ralph Weber Ralph.Weber at wdc.com
Thu Jul 16 16:26:41 PDT 2020

Regarding the Standard INQUIRY data RMB bit, SPC-6 r02 says...
"A removable medium (RMB) bit set to zero indicates that the medium is not removable. A RMB bit set to one indicates that the medium is removable."

An interesting debate has developed regarding whether a USB "memory stick" is an RMB=0 or an RMB=1 device.

One wag has suggested that the RMB bit definition be conditionalized on the presence/absence of a coincident Logical Unit Reset condition or I_T Nexus Loss condition, something along the lines of...
"A removable medium (RMB) bit set to zero indicates that the medium is not removable without resulting in a Logical Unit Reset condition (see SAM-6) or an I_T Nexus Loss condition (see SAM-6). A RMB bit set to one indicates that the medium is removable with no concurrent Logical Unit Reset condition or I_T Nexus Loss condition."

How says the T10 body politic?

Thanks,

.Ralph