[T10] Network access changes to t10.org

Ralph Weber Ralph.Weber at wdc.com
Tue Jul 7 10:21:58 PDT 2020

After lengthy internal negotiations among numerous WD stakeholders, this coming weekend has been selected for a reconfiguration of the networking interfaces to a large collection of virtual machines housed behind the WD Firewall. The webservers for t10.org and t13.org will be affected by this reconfiguration.

The most dramatic effects are possible on Saturday (11 July) in the Pacific Cost Time between mid-morning and early afternoon. During this time, there is a possibility that the webservers will be so inaccessible that a command line Ping to either of them will timeout (e.g., C:> ping t13.org will be unsuccessful).

Both before and after the dark hours of the inaccessible interval, changes are possible that will confuse web browsers to an extent that makes the websites "look" inaccessible.  These conditions arise from the fact that (in addition to all the other cached goodies) web browsers cache translations between URLs and their underlying IP addresses.

The resulting web browsing behavior can be bewildering, to say the least. Complaints such as, "It works when I disable the VPN but not when the VPN is on" suggest the extent of the possible turmoil. For this reason, I have been asked to distribute the following URL to provide guidance regarding how to clear the just-right part of a browser's cache: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

For T10, the proximity to the July Plenary Week is unfortunate, but quite unavoidable. "Plan ahead accordingly", lame though it may be, is the best advice available. Suffice to say that voices which carry much more weight than our intrepid band of standards developers had lots to say about the choice of this weekend.

All the best, .Ralph