[T10] A new approach to handling Whole Device commands in combination with 2 Actuator LUNs

Ralph Weber Ralph.Weber at wdc.com
Mon Oct 28 20:14:06 PDT 2019

After being reminded that Well Know Logical Units were invented to represent activities that affect an entire SCSI Target Device (oh, George Penokie; please don't read this Reflector posting; I'll be s-o-o-o-o embarrassed), I have drafted a three-page proposal that puts a newly defined Well Known Logical Unit to work on the Dual-Actuator FORMAT UNIT problem and its kin.

SPC-6, SBC-4: W-LUNs Approach to Dual-Actuator Format et al. (19-117r0<http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=d&f=19-117r0.pdf>)

Gerry Houlder has noted that the proposed changes in the SBC-4 informative annex titled Direct Access Block Devices With Shared User Data Storage Constituents do not measure up to normal T10 expectations. With Gerry's able assistance, hopes are high that this weakness can be eliminated during the next few days.

However, a quality CAP review of the SPC-6 changes can be facilitated by as expeditious a posting as possible. So, breakout your white gloves and give 19-117r0<http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=d&f=19-117r0.pdf> a detailed inspection.

See you next week,

.Ralph