[T10] SPC5r20a - 4.2.5.6 - Allocation length confusing.

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Wed Feb 27 15:40:19 PST 2019

That wording was intended to cover the case where There are different size
commands that can do the same function. For example, MODE SENSE(6) has only
a one byte transfer length and MODE SENSE(10) has a two byte transfer
length. If a target has 300 bytes of mode data to transfer and the host
issues a MODE SENSE(6) command, the command should end with CHECK CONDITION
status with the allocation length error. This is supposed to clue the host
to use the MODE SENSE(10) command to return the data. If more than FFFFh
bytes of mode data was available, a MODE SENSE(10) command should truncate
the data (return as much as it can) and it is up to the host to send a
different MODE SENSE(10) command that will retrieve a different set of data
If the host didn't get the data it wanted.