[T10] Question: About the number of identify

Ralph Weber roweber at ieee.org
Mon Feb 29 19:27:57 PST 2016

I am not an SPL expert, but maybe one is not needed here.

Based on SPL-4 r06, subclause 6.10.3.3.1 "State description" provides a
strong hint as to what is expected.

"Upon entry into this state, this state shall send either one or three
Transmit IDENTIFY Address Frame
messages to the SL_IR transmitter.

"NOTE 30 - Phys compliant with SAS-1.1 only transmitted one Transmit
IDENTIFY Address Frame message."

Thus, compliance with SAS-1.1 requires the sending of only one IDENTIFY
Address Frame ...

By implication, SAS-2 and later might have a preference for sending
three IDENTIFY Address Frame ... s ...
but this author cannot find any explicit statement to this effect in a
wide variety of standards than have been investigated (including the
SAS-2 revision in which the "one or three" wording first appeared).

The cited text can be traced back to T10/07-090r3 which was incorporated
in SAS-2 r13 in November 2007.

T10/07-090r3 contains one page of introductory text in which includes
the following sentence: "To better tolerate single-bit errors, the
IDENTIFY address frame should be sent 3 times rather than just 1 time."

See: http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=d&f=07-090r3.pdf

Note: The proposal's introduction is not now (and as far as I can tell,
never has been) part of any SAS or SPL standard.

I leave it to the SPL wizards to decide whether valuable information in
T10/07-090r3 is already in SPL-4 or even needs to be in SPL-4.

All the best,

.Ralph