[T10] Tape Stream Miroring incorporation into SPC-5 r11 feedback

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 8 09:39:26 PDT 2016

Thanks Ralph. I support your stated course of action.

Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, CAMSS
T10 Standards
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/

From:   Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
To:     Dennis Appleyard <dennis.appleyard at oracle.com>, Kevin D
Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS, curtis.ballard at hpe.com, Darryl Torske
<Darryl.Torske at quantum.com>
Cc:     "T10 org (t10 at t10.org)" <t10 at t10.org>
Date:   08/08/2016 02:47
Subject:        Re: Tape Stream Miroring incorporation into SPC-5 r11
feedback

With the following exceptions, the changes shown below have been marked
for inclusion in SPC-4 r12.
The page 281 change is covered in a separate email.
On page 200, the editor prefers the e.g. because it allows a future
proposal to define a second segment descriptor that starts a tape stream
mirroring operation and not accidentally create letter ballot comment
opportunities by forgetting to modify the cited text.
Regarding the TSMC bit discussion on page 201. Since the device is
*always* the entity that sets the value in any VPD page bit, the editor is
a big fan of removing "being set to one". To whit, requiring support for
the bit is sufficient, which is what the modified text will say. Product
specs and/or other mechanisms can define its value. Thank you to the
reviewers for granting license to remove this text. It will be done.
The change proposed for page 280 will not be made because the cited
sentence is the first sentence in the formal description of the tape
stream mirroring segment descriptor. Especially in this location, the
details which the proposed change would remove are essential to
eliminating future claims that the standard is inconsistent.
All the best,

.Ralph