review of 94-025

Gerry Houlder Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Sun Sep 6 23:24:59 PDT 2015

_Date: 02-15-94 07:03:02 AM
_To: scsireflector
_Recipient: scsi at WichitaKS.NCR.COM@internet
_From: Gerry Houlder at SEAGATE
_Subject: review of 94-025

This message is intended for Doug Hagerman (since he is the author of 94-025)
but is distributed to the reflector for other interested parties. Doug's
Additional Device Models document has a section on console devices (section 4).
I have a comment about the same item in sections 4.2.3 (READ ASCII command),
4.2.4 (Write ASCII command), 4.2.5 (Read Bits command), and 4.2.6 (Write Bits
command).

All of these commands return a descriptor that includes a "descriptor length".
The text in each case says "the descriptor length value includes the length
byte itself". It would be more consistent with other SCSI commands that have a
descriptor length field in a descriptor (e.g. MODE SENSE, INQUIRY, REQUEST
SENSE, REASSIGN BLOCKS commands) to have the descriptor length value "indicate
the number of additional bytes available". This doesn't include the length
field itself, or any fields prior the the length field.

Doug, I hope you will make this minor change in your proposal (during your next
revision) so that the new commands you propose will be more consistent with
existing, similar commands.

--
Gerry Houlder (Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com)
Seagate Technology   -   920 Disc Drive   -   Scotts Valley, CA 95066 USA
Main Phone 408-438-6550   -   Email Problems postmaster at notes.seagate.com
Technical Support: BBS 408-438-8771  Fax 408-438-8137  Voice 408-438-8222