Steve Finch's comment on Enhanced IDE

Hale Landis Hale_Landis at notes.seagate.com
Sun Sep 6 23:24:59 PDT 2015

_Date: 01-19-94 11:23:33 AM
_To: sff_reflector at Sun.COM@internet
_To: ata at dt.wdc.com@internet
_To: scsi at wichitaks.ncr.com@internet
_Recipient: scsi at wichitaks.ncr.com@internet
_From: Hale Landis at SEAGATE
_Subject: Steve Finch's comment on Enhanced IDE

First, the following are my opinions and not the opinions or position of
Seagate.

Steve Finch wrote:
>I have always found Western Digital's approach to the ATA/IDE market
>interesting and confusing.  The WD documents I have seen merge together
>several interesting and important concepts:  more than two drives, higher
>speed transfers and CD-ROM device support.  The three are described
>together and one could get the impression that they must be adopted
>together.  They have succeeded in not only confusing the customers but also
>the vendors as well.

Yep, I agree with Steve's comments.  I'm getting all kinds of calls from some
very confused
people.  It's one thing to distribute FUD to give your company a marketing
advantage but
when it is not done in the proper context, it can have the effect of damaging
an entire industry
and this is what I think is happening here.

Steve wrote:
>I don't know how many times I've had to answer similar questions on the
>phone....   If only WD wouldn't make its statements and make them seem like
>they reflect the beliefs of the entire industry...  But it is often hard to
>slow down the outflow from a broken dam.

Yep again.  I see press releases all the time from WD that imply that they are
speaking
for the entire industry or that the entire industry has "signed up" to do
something the WD way.
I have been very surprised at times by press releases that imply they were
issued by the SFF
committee or an X3T9 committee and therefore represent an industry position
when in
reality, the press release was from WD and the only people quoted in it are WD
people.

I notice that WD is first up at the ATA porition of the Tech Forum next Monday
talking about
Enhanced IDE.  Gee, I thought the Tech Forum was not an appropiate place to make
marketing presentations?  As far as I'm concerned, Enhanced IDE is a WD
marketing
thing.

Steve wrote:
>The above comments are mine alone, and not a reflection of my company.

Same for me.

Steve wrote:
>(I'll wait for the shot's fired by WD for my point of view.  Ain't it great
>to live in America?)

Sure is, but don't overlook the fact that a lot of people don't agree with
the 1st admemdment any more.

--
Hale Landis (Hale_Landis at notes.seagate.com)
Seagate Technology   -   920 Disc Drive   -   Scotts Valley, CA 95066 USA
Main Phone 408-438-6550   -   Email Problems postmaster at notes.seagate.com
Technical Support: BBS 408-438-8771  Fax 408-438-8137  Voice 408-438-8222