Query regarding device's behavior for START STOP UNIT command

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Mon Jul 20 08:05:54 PDT 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1507202_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Case 1: The START STOP UNIT command with power condition=active  and IMMED=
0 gets the same response as if the drive is in Standby power condition.
GOOD status is returned after the drive reaches active power condition (due
to IMMED=0).
Case 2: The START STOP UNIT command with power condition=idle  and IMMED= 1
gets the same response as if the drive is in Standby power condition. GOOD
status is returned quickly (due to IMMED=1) (depending on how fast the
power transitions occur, the response could be at any time in the
"transition-to-standby-to-idle" process) and the drive eventually reaches
idle condition.