SBC-4 wording on SANITIZE command behavior

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Tue Jan 6 07:29:22 PST 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1501060_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

This is text in the SANITIZE command describing response to AUSE bit=0.
If:
a) the AUSE bit is set to zero in the SANITIZE command that requested a
sanitize operation;
b) the specified sanitize operation completes with an error; and
c) a subsequent SANITIZE command with the EXIT FAILURE MODE service action
is received,
then the device sever shall terminate that subsequent SANITIZE command with
CHECK CONDITION status with the sense key set to ILLEGAL REQUEST and the
additional sense code set to INVALID FIELD IN CDB.
I recall discussion of a sanitize failure with AUSE=0 that a subsequent
SANITIZE with an option other than EXIT FAILURE MODE also had to have
AUSE=0 in order to be accepted by the device server. i thought we intended
that a subsequent SANITIZE command with AUSE=1 would also result in illegal
request but i can't find any words to that effect. Did we intentionally
drop that requirement or did we forget to add that requirement? Or is it
somewhere else and i just didn't find it?