[T10] Tape Stream Mirroring Security

Dennis Appleyard dennis.appleyard at oracle.com
Thu Dec 24 13:53:51 PST 2015

All,
During the November 19 Teleconference call on Extended Copy Enhancements
for Tape there was a request that I prepare sequence diagrams to explain
how tape stream mirroring (TSM) could be controlled by a tape library
using ADC commands or by SSC commands sent to the copy source tape
drive. The goal being to provide both control and security against
unauthorized copying of data using tape stream mirroring. I am
proposing  the following new functions.

ADC- set TSM capable/not capable, TSM allow/prevent
ADC - check TSM capable/not capable, TSM allow/prevent

SSC- set TSM allow/prevent
SSC - check TSM capable/not capable, TSM allow/prevent

These new functions will be implemented with a new ADC command, a new
SSC command and two bits in the SSC Device Configuration Extension mode
page (page code 10h, subpage code 01h).

These new functions provide the ability to prevent or detect a TSM
operation from a rogue application attempting to make an unauthorized
tape copy of data while a tape is being written.

I am updating 14-268r9 (it will get a new proposal number) with these
changes for review at the January CAP meeting in Irvine.

I would appreciate your comments on the sequence diagrams prior to the
CAP meeting.

Thanks,
Dennis Appleyard
Oracle