T10/14-275r8 question

Bill Martin-SSI bill.martin at ssi.samsung.com
Wed Apr 15 08:10:21 PDT 2015

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1504150_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Kevin:
You partially correct. Background operation may be applicable to any resource
or thin provisioned device. For a fully provisioned device there is never an
issue of resources being depleted, so the model clause does not apply. For
stream operation since we allow a resource provisioned device to become thin
provisioned at some point this should apply to both thin and resource
provisioned. I am not sure on this about fully provisioned since a fully
provisioned device is not managing allocation of resources. I will modify
both of these clauses to include thin provisioned. If you believe fully
provisioned should be included, I would like to have further discussion.
Bill Martin
SSD I/O Standards
Samsung Semiconductor, Inc.
Cell (408) 499-1839