Renaming Command Deadlines (14-107)

James C Hatfield james.c.hatfield at seagate.com
Fri Oct 17 08:32:37 PDT 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1410171_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

The term that T13 standards have used for years is
     CCTL = command completion time limit
Thank You !!!
Jim Hatfield
Seagate Technology LLC
   e-mail:  James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
   s-mail:  389 Disc Drive;  Longmont, CO 80503 USA
   voice:  720-684-2120
   fax....: 720-684-2711
   cell...: 720-771-8914
On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Gerry Houlder <gerry.houlder at seagate.com>
wrote:
> My first choice is to keep the "command deadline" label. We have a
> definitions section to describe exactly what we mean.
>
> If that option fails, my second choice is "command time limit". Time limit
> is an acknowledged synonym for deadline. Again, if folks need more
> clarification than that, read the definition of the term.
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Paul Suhler <Paul.Suhler at hgst.com> wrote:
>
>>  At Tuesday’s SAM-5 call, I received a recommendation not to use the
>> term “command deadline time” because that implied an absolute wall
clock
>> time, rather than a duration that begins when the command is received by
>> the device server.
>>

>> One suggestion was “command processing time limit.”  This could be
>> confusing because it’s too close to “command processing timeout,”
which is
>> in SPC-4 and is a totally different concept; see the command timeouts
>> descriptor in REPORT SUPPORTED OPCODES.  Moreover, “time limit” could
also
>> imply a wall clock time.
>>

>> Another objection I have is that I’d be replacing three words with four
>> and this proposal is wordy enough already.
>>

>> How about:
>>

>> a)	   Command duration limit (Do we **have** to say “processing” –
can
>> it be implicit?)
>>
>> b)	   Command lifetime limit
>>

>> Other suggestions?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Paul
>>

>> *Paul A. Suhler, PhD*
>>
>> Research Staff Member
>>
>> HGST Research
>> *paul.suhler at hgst.com <paul.suhler at hgst.com>*
>> o: 949-476-1180 x275448
>>
>> m: 949-241-6443
>>
>> 3001 Daimler St.
>> Santa Ana, CA 92705-5812
>> www.hgst.com

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hgst.com_&d=AAMFaQ&c
=IGDlg0lD0b-nebmJJ0Kp8A&r=8mNfn1gTL7YQs9S_a4U_7b-WpO2_x-7ODMYXVic49hQ&m=DkNaj
1GXTZtBxyn2TTHEms-wWxNbitsIiDtNFxbhrcE&s=kZcm_iU8Z-5L157vosgeH7l0D6OCjLB9tKtw
lH6Xj_o&e=>