Invalid value in SERVICE ACTION field

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 24 10:06:32 PDT 2014

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1404241_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I have been searching SPC-4 to answer the question, "What is the correct
additional sense code to return if the SERVICE ACTION field contains an
unsupported value?"
One might think that since the OPERATION CODE field and the  SERVICE
ACTION field are taken together to indicate a command that the correct
response would be INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE
However, with a strict reading of SPC-4, since it is silent on this
specific condition, the correct response is to use INVALID FIELD IN CDB
Does anybody disagree with my interpretation?
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
SCSI Architect, Tape Firmware, T10 Standards
Data Protection & Retention
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com