Binary multiple units (was Re: Posted: updated change history#2)

Joe Breher joe at lingua-data.com
Fri Sep 2 13:09:32 PDT 2011

* Joe Breher <joe at lingua-data.com>
*
Hello -
Thank you for addressing my concern. I see the Table 4 properly lists 'binary
multiple' prefixes.
However, Table 5 is inconsistent with the material in Table 4. There are
several entries which should be replaced -
GB	Gibytes
 should be replaced with the following two entries:
GB	Gbytes
GiB	Gibytes
KB	Kibytes
 should be replaced with the following two entries:
KB	kbytes
KiB	Kibytes
MB	Mibytes
 should be replaced with the following two entries:
MB	Mbytes
MiB	Mibytes
The fundamental issue is that k always means 1000 and Ki always means 1024.
This is true whether or not using the abbreviation 'B' for 'bytes'.
Thank You,
Joe Breher
President,
lingua data (a dba of q music inc)
(478) 2-Breher
(478) 227-3437
On Sep 2, 2011, at 2:09 AM, keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp wrote:

> Hello Kevin and Joe,
>
> Thank you for your comments.
> I agree that it is good time to adopt T10 style numeric representation to
Fuji
> spec.
> I found "non line break space" and "wild card strings" to search digits
more
> than 3 of Framemaker. So I can find numeric representation and can add
thousand
> separator without line break.
>
> Fuji members, I made and posted modified Introduction section on ftp.
> ftp.avc-pioneer.com/Mtfuji_8/Proposal/Sep11/Introduction-t10Style.pdf
>
> Please send your comment or opnion for this change.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Keiji Katata
> PIONEER CORP.
>

> Kevin D Butt <kdbutt at us.ibm.com> on 2011/08/26 04:22:10
>

> $B08 at h(B: Joe Breher <joe at lingua-data.com>
> cc:	keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp, mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com,
> owner-t10 at t10.org, t10 at t10.org
> $B7oL>(B: Re: Binary multiple units (was Re: Posted: updated change
history#2)

> MMC-6 group.	Please refer to the T10 Style Guide (10-316r6) clause 3.5.2
Units
> of measure
> This clearly spells out the difference in terminology that should be used
in T10
> standards for Decimal powers and Binary powers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin D. Butt
> SCSI & Fibre Channel Architect, Tape Firmware
> Data Protection & Retention
> MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
> Tel: 520-799-5280
> Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
> Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
> http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
>

> From:        Joe Breher <joe at lingua-data.com>
> To:	     keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
> Cc:	     mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com, t10 at t10.org
> Date:        08/25/2011 12:04 PM
> Subject:	  Binary multiple units (was Re: Posted: updated change
history#2)

> Sent by:	  owner-t10 at t10.org

> * Joe Breher <joe at lingua-data.com>
> *
> I am afraid your definition of K and M perpetuate a bad practice of mixing
the
> meanings of 2^10n with 10^3n. I would prefer to see the definition of Ki =
2^10,
> Mi = 2^20, Gi = 2^30 ...., as per the IEC, IEEE, CIPM and NIST recommended
> practice.
>
> Joe Breher
> President,
> lingua data (a dba of q music inc)
> (478) 2-Breher
> (478) 227-3437
>
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:42 AM, keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp wrote:
>
>> * From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
>> * keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
>> *
>>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I posted updated change history on ftp.
>> ftp.avc-pioneer.com/Mtfuji_8/Proposal/Aug11/Introduction-F8R090-2.pdf
>>
>> Kohda-san commented that Fuji may have same definition with "Table 1 ?
>> Representation of Multiplier Values" of MMC6 for kbytes/Kbytes. So I added
"
>> Table 4 - Representation of Multiplier Values" and removed "2.2.89
Gbytes".

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org