Problem with 10-356r6

david.black at emc.com david.black at emc.com
Mon Nov 15 16:18:13 PST 2010

* <david.black at emc.com>
*
George,
To begin with, the proposal involved is actually 10-325r6.
The suggested rewrite breaks a key aspect of 10-325 - the intent has always
been to allow I/O to data when the amount of data involved is small (e.g., an
older version of 10-325 referred to "a capacity that is too small for most
practical uses").  Therefore the suggested rewrite is not acceptable.
An acceptable rewrite would be:
	b) shall not support access to user data (see SPC-4) for the purpose
of user data storage; and
While I'm somewhat uncomfortable with this after-the-fact revision, an
alternative approach of deleting item b) might also solve the problem, as
that would result in sweeping "access to user data" under the proverbial
"carpet" of item c):
	c) may support other features only for the purposes of device
management.
thereby avoiding the temptation of viewing the "for the purpose of" language
in the rewritten item b) as superfluous.
Thanks,
--David
George
> Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 5:55 PM
> To: T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org)
> Cc: Black, David; Bill.Martin at Emulex.Com
> Subject: Problem with 10-356r6

> * "Penokie, George" <George.Penokie at lsi.com>
> *
> In the process of incorporating 10-356r6 (SAM-5 and FCP-4: Management
Logical Units) I have
> encountered a problem that needs attention.
>
> In the proposal the following statement is intended to describe what a
management logical unit does:

> A management logical unit:
> a) shall support access to management functionality;
> b) shall not support access to stored data for the purpose of general data
storage; and
> c) may support other features only for the purposes of device management.
>
> The problem is that item be uses terms (specifically: stored data and
general data storage) that are
> not defined in SAM (or anywhere else in the SCSI standards). That has to be
resolved. I suggest item
> b) be rewritten as:
>
> b) shall not manage I/O requests that require access to user data (see
SPC-4); and

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org