Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4

Kevin_Marks at Dell.com Kevin_Marks at Dell.com
Mon Aug 31 11:07:45 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908314_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>
Attachment #1: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908314_image001.gif">image001.gif</a>
Attachment #2: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908314_image002.png">image002.png</a>
Attachment #3: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908314_image003.png">image003.png</a>

An just to clarify,  Gerry’s is to follow the same behavior as ATA EPC, and
mine was just to fix the missing REQUEST SENSE command.
Kevin
From: owner-t10 at t10.org [mailto:owner-t10 at t10.org] On Behalf Of
Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 11:22 AM
To: t10 at t10.org
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4
There are currently two proposals on the CAP agenda that address this
situation.
09-085 [Marks] has wording to cover the Request Sense case only.
09-250 [Houlder] has wording to allow a number of commands (including Request
Sense as an example) to not affect the timers when they are received.
I anticipate the CAP working group will choose one of these two approaches to
resolve this issue. Please review both approaches and decide which one
deserves your support.
 "Mark Evans" <Mark.Evans at wdc.com>
"Mark Evans" <Mark.Evans at wdc.com>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
No Phone Info Available
08/28/2009 05:16 PM
<t10 at t10.org>
cc
"Ralph Weber" <roweber at IEEE.org>
Subject
Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4
Hello,
I’ve discovered an inconsistency in SPC-4 regarding power conditions. The
sixth paragraph in 5.10.1 Power conditions overview reads, “If any power
condition timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that timer
shall be stopped on receipt of a command. On completion of the command, all
enabled timers shall be reinitialized based on their Power Condition mode
page values and then started.”
However, in clause 6.29 REQUEST SENSE command there is a sentence that reads,
“A REQUEST SENSE command shall not reset any power condition timers.”
I think the description in the REQUEST SENSE command is correct and that the
paragraph in 5.10.1 should be changed to read, “If any power condition
timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that timer shall be
stopped on receipt of a command, except a REQUEST SENSE command. On
completion of the command, all enabled timers shall be reinitialized based on
their Power Condition mode page values and then started.”
I think this could be an editorial change, as this was the intent all along.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari