INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE

Mike Berhan mikeb at bustrace.com
Thu May 8 12:24:48 PDT 2008

* "Mike Berhan" <mikeb at bustrace.com>
*
Regarding the return of INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE, SPC states:
"If a device server receives a CDB containing an operation code that is
invalid or not supported, the command shall be terminated with CHECK
CONDITION status, with the sense key set to ILLEGAL REQUEST, and the
additional sense code set to INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE."
I have looked at SPC for a precise definition as to what a drive should
respond with if it is sent an Operation Code / Service Action that it does
not support (perhaps it supports other service actions, just not the one you
are requesting).  In practice, I have seen quite a few devices that return
INVALID FIELD IN CDB or INVALID FIELD IN PARAMTER LIST.  What I expected,
however, was an INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE.
My assumption is based on the SPC specification which shows the "Operation
Code" as a combination of the opcode / service action such as SPC-4 Table 75
(Commands for all device types).  Is my assumption correct?
-------
Mike Berhan
busTRACE Technologies
9700 Village Center Drive