MMC/Mt Fuji: Mandatory features for all peripheral devices type 5, and mark time out feature obsolete

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Sun Jun 17 22:53:45 PDT 2007

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*
Hi Tim,
You may think about your problem. I also think about my problem. My problem
is
that CD/DVD-ROM cannot have Flash-ROM to store its FW program due to the cost
issue. Now floppy drive and CD-ROM drive have similar price. If Microsoft and
you request to have Flash-ROM on CD/DVD-ROM, the drive manufacture may lose
its
business. As you know, the basic PC model of PC manufacture has CD/DVD-ROM
drive, so automatically PC manufacture may lose its business.
CD/DVD-ROM drive manufacture may build a few ten million drives in a few
months.
I think 10000 drives of less may be used in a USB housing. Why MS and you
request Serial number to all of the CD/DVD-ROM drive units? Why drive
manufacture must have Serial number in the ten million drives that is
required
only for 10000 drives?
OK, Microsoft USB Mouse, my wife and I love to use it. In a home, my wife and
use own USB mouse (one for her, one for me) via wireless LUN IP network using
USB-wireless box. So Microsoft shall implement Serial Number in all of their
USB
mouse? How about PS2 mouse? I can connect the PS2 mouse to USB-wireless box
using PS2-USB attachment.
May I confirm your requirement?
I think that the drive that has detachable I/F shall have some unique number
in
the system.
Is it correct?
Normal CD/DVD-ROM drive that has PATA and SATA is not designed to be
detachable
I/F. So user uses detachable I/F box with such drive to have a detachable I/F
drive. The box system shall have unique number.
Is it correct?
Best regards,
Keiji Katata
PIONEER CORP.
Tim Jones <tjmac at tolisgroup.com> on 2007/06/01 02:05:57
$B08 at h(B:  T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org>
cc:    mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com, keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
bcc:
$B7oL>(B:  Re: MMC/Mt Fuji: Mandatory features for all peripheral devices
type 5,
       and mark time out feature obsolete
Katata-San,
I realize that TOLIS Group are not a voting member, but I would like
to weigh in on the LUN Serial portion of the Microsoft feature proposal.
In a hardware manufacturer's view, we can see where the lack of the
logical unit serial number is not an issue within environments of one
physical type 5 device.  However, as a software vendor, the tracking
of specific devices on the channel becomes difficult if we have
multiple instances of the same manufacturer's drive model in the
list.  By tracking a LUN Serial, we can more readily differentiate
between drives ensuring that multiple I/O operations are directed to
the appropriate physical device.  Additionally, since certain
processes for device attachment under IEEE-1394 and USB environments
can actually rearrange device order as devices are attached and
removed, such an additional identifier will assist software
developers on all platforms in properly identifying a specific drive.
 From a software point of view, we strongly agree with David's
proposal and request for this specific feature.
Tim
--
Tim Jones, CTO
TOLIS Group, Inc.