Informative vs. Normative, defined

plavarre at lexar.com plavarre at lexar.com
Fri Jul 27 09:43:15 PDT 2007

* <plavarre at lexar.com>
*
Sure, a lot of the English dictionaries are copy-protected in ways that
make them significantly less accessible and shareable - thus less useful
- than googling T10.org.
I mentioned this Sam omission more because dictionaries are fuzzy
references that lack the cultural context of storage standards
development, that's all. The word 'informative' in particular has many
many definitions, the word 'normative' googles better.
After I failed to find an answer at T10.org, I closed at Ieee.org. I
trust the definitions I find there match our thinking here likewise:
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 7:48 AM
Subject: Fwd: IEEE definition of normative and informative
http://www.google.com/search?q=define+informative+normative
"""IEEE definition of normative and informative"""
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/scc38/1583/emailstg3/msg00005.html
"""There are two types of annexes: normative and informative."""
"""Normative annexes are mandatory. They're considered to be a part of
the standard, just like any other text in the
body of the standard. That is, what's in a normative annex has to be
followed if you're claiming compliance with that standard."""
"""Informative annexes are just that: they give you information. The key
thing is that they are not considered to be part of the official
standard. They are there as a service, for information only, but they
don't carry any mandate for the user of that standard."""
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org