SAS 2 - scrambler operation

Robert Watson Robert_Watson at pmc-sierra.com
Wed Jul 18 15:19:24 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0707184_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

6.7.4.2.3.4 Train-SNW defines two training patterns: TRAIN pattern and
TRAIN)DONE pattern. Both are defined as their respective redundant primitive
followed by 58 dwords set to 0x00000000 scrambled and 8b10b encoded.
Furthermore, the scrambler is initialized at the end of RCDT and is not
re-initialized after that.
The question we have is : Does the scrambler pause while sending TRAIN or
TRAIN_DONE primitives; that is, is the dword following the primitive the
scrambler's successor dword to the dword preceding the primitive? Or does the
scrambler run continuously, and TRAIN or TRAIN_DONE is overlayed on top of
scrambler dwords? I would expect the former, but I don't feel that the
current draft (sas2r10) is clear in this regard.
Thanks,
Robert Watson
PMC-Sierra, Inc.