SSC-3: Protecting a Partially Encrypted Volume

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 6 08:55:27 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0707060_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

All,
I have uploaded a proposal to protect partially encrypted volumes.  This
addresses a concern about how tapes encrypted by an encryption aware
application or system can be protected when the tape is moved to a
different drive and an append attempted.  Most customers are wanting
guarantees that once a volume has had encrypted data placed on it that all
subsequent data is also encrypted.  There may also be some installations
that desire the ability to have mixed encrypted and clear text.  This
calls for care in how we meet both these requirements.
This proposal has not met the two-week rule, but if possible I would like
to be able to get some feedback so I can make changes and have a good
chance of getting it approved in Sept.
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com