sas2r08 Editor's Note 35 (Clause 7.9)

Stephen FINCH steve.finch at st.com
Fri Feb 16 13:51:08 PST 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0702162_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Here is the text of the referenced editor's note.
Editor's Note 35: To better tolerate single-bit errors, it might be prudent
to require SAS-2 phys
transmit IDENTIFY address frame 3 times rather than just once. Although the
frame includes a
CRC, there is no NAK to cause retransmission if it fails - the entire link
reset sequence must be
restarted if a bit error corrupts the IDENTIFY address frame. If it were
transmitted 3 times, that
would not be necessary. 3 times would cover DFE error propagation between
back-to-back
EOAF-SOAF (which should be allowed). After sending one IDENTIFY, must be
immediately ready
to handle an incoming OPEN. Can stop sending additional IDENTIFYs if that
happens (or keep
sending them - it shouldn't matter to the recipient).
I would like this editor's not removed from the draft standard.
This note is in conflict with the SL_IR statemachine.
I have seen no proposal to change the link layer functionality as suggested
by this note and,
until such a proposal is made I believe this does nothing but add confusion.
Regards,
Steve Finch
STMicroelectronics