Mt Fuji - MMC:

David Burg daviburg at windows.microsoft.com
Mon Aug 27 23:38:39 PDT 2007

* David Burg <daviburg at windows.microsoft.com>
*
Hi Katata-san,
Thank you for the refreshed information on the Pioneer implementation.
I agree we need to work on the Set Streaming command so that its description
both better match what devices implement and better match what is reasonable
to implement - like matching the rotation speed for both read and write when
commands are intermixed, yet leave the possibility of higher read rotation
speed when there is no writing.
We need to further work on probably both the get performance and the set
streaming command - possibly even the streaming feature itself - to address
the HD Video on red laser media case brought to us by Toshiba (and in which
Microsoft has interest as well).
Microsoft also needs the devices to more accurately report their performance
capabilities and well as current state so that proper choices and information
can be presented to the user.
There is too a known need for noise control, and we know that some OEM in
particular is sensitive to the issue.
Finally there is a general push for power saving in the industry, and precise
speed control can help reduce the power consumption of optical devices.
Hey, this is probably one of the most complex and most interesting technical
challenges we had in Mt Fuji - MMC in a while.
Cheers,
David Burg.