Receiver jitter tolerance for 6G?

Alvin.Cox at seagate.com Alvin.Cox at seagate.com
Fri Aug 10 13:05:56 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0708100_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

There are some issues regarding jitter that need resolution. For 6G, we
set the transmitter TJ at .6 UI as the delivered allowed jitter after the
reference channel and receiver equalization. Previous speeds allowed 0.55
UI at IR/CR and then a receiver tolerance requirement with the 0.1 added
sinusoidal jitter for receiver of 0.65 at IR/CR. This value allows the
receiver to apply whatever its recovery capabilities are, including
possible equalization schemes, to the signal to help to meet BER. Since we
have moved to a point past the receiver equalization in the 6G
specification, I am not convinced that the receiver tolerance methodology
should be applied in the 6G specification. Comments?
Alvin Cox
Seagate Technology, LLC
Office 405-381-8067
Cell 405-206-4809