An alternative proposal from SNIA

Roger Cummings roger_cummings at symantec.com
Wed Oct 25 16:02:19 PDT 2006

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0610251_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Folks,
As you may remember, I had a proposal (06-392r0) posted for the
September CAP meeting that was not presented at the meeting because of a
lack of time.
06-392r0 requested that a range of values in the Security Protocols
field of the SECURITY PROTOCOLS IN and SECURITY PROTOCOLS OUT commands
be designated as "Defined by the SNIA" for the purpose of providing a
method of transporting one of the protocols associated with the DMTF
Common Information Model (CIM) across a SCSI infrastructure. CIM is the
basis of SNIA's Storage Management Interface (SMI-S), the first
generation of which has been published as ANSI/INCITS 388-2004.
Although 392r0 was not formally presented at the CAP meeting, a number
of people privately expressed the opinion that they would prefer that a
separate pair of MANAGEMENT IN and MANAGEMENT OUT commands be defined
for the purpose of transporting CIM and other management-related
protocols over a SCSI infrastructure. The SNIA Management Protocols Tech
Working Group (MP TWG) discussed that idea, determined that it would
meet their requirements, and as a result I was directed to produce an
alternative proposal to T10 to define those commands. I uploaded that
proposal yesterday as 06-465r0.
I've also posted a minor revision to the previous proposal, to correct
some typos add a further background paragraph, and genericize the
requested value range, and that revision was also uploaded yesterday as
06-392r1.
Both 392r1 and 465r0 are on the agenda for the upcoming CAP meeting. To
further emphasize the above, the approach defined in either document is
acceptable to SNIA, and so the decision on which to proceed with is for
T10.
Please review both proposals, let me know of any required corrections or
clarifications, and come to the next CAP meeting prepared to choose an
approach.
Regards,
Roger Cummings
SYMANTEC