SAS DONE timers

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Tue Jul 18 11:45:19 PDT 2006

Attachment #1: <A HREF="r0607180_smime.p7s">smime.p7s</A>

Set it to its initial value (1 ms, per table 119 in sas2r04a).
> 2. Why does the ACK/NAK timeout situation treat incoming EOF
> differently
> than the other states? Just curious about the reasoning for this
> behavior.
When a phy sends DONE (any reason), it starts the 1 ms timer.
If it sent DONE (NORMAL) or DONE (CREDIT TIMEOUT), it will
keep reinitializing the DONE timeout timer if the other side
continues to send frames; useful work is still being performed.
If it sent DONE (ACK/NAK TIMEOUT), it does not keep reinitializing
the timer, since this is an error condition and it needs to
close the connection.

> Also, I cannot find any specific definitions of the terms used when
> describing timer operations, such as initialize, reinitialize, start,
> stop, etc. Did I miss something?
Those are intended to be common engineering terms.  A timer is
intialized to a certain value.	Once started, it counts down.  Once
stopped, it stops counting.  When it reaches zero, it is considered
to be expired.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott