queries Regarding Transport layer (part 2)

sandeep taneja sandeep.taneja at mail.nsysinc.com
Thu Jul 6 22:14:53 PDT 2006

* sandeep taneja <sandeep.taneja at mail.nsysinc.com>
*
Hi George
My Question is on Handling of message
Transmission Complete (Data-Out Failed, NAK Received) or Transmission
Complete (Data-Out Failed, ACK/ NAK Timeout) by ST_IFR machine.
-Sandeep
Sandeep,
The ST_IFR state machine notifies the application client of the receipt
of a Transmission Complete (Command Failed, ACK/NAK Timeout) message by
sending a Command Complete Received (Service Delivery or Target Failure
- ACK/NAK Timeout) confirmation/argument.
The ST_IFR state machine notifies the application client of the receipt
of a Transmission Complete (Command Failed, NAK Received) message by
sending a Command Complete Received (Service Delivery or Target Failure
- NAK Received) confirmation/argument.
This information is listed in table 138 Confirmations sent to the SCSI
application layer if a frame transmission or reception error occurs from
SAS-2 rev 4a.
Bye for now,
George Penokie
Dept 9A8 030-3 A410
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208
sandeep taneja <sandeep.taneja at mail.nsysinc.com>
07/06/2006 12:58 AM	To	George Penokie/Rochester/IBM at IBMUS
cc	t10 at t10.org, Monika <monika.talwar at nsysinc.com>
Subject Re: queries Regarding Transport layer (part 2)
Hi George
Thanks for providing very clear explanation & confirming that Rules for
failure of data frame.
There is doubt on how ST_IFR will notify Application layer that NAK or
ACK/NAK timeout have occurred for the data frame. ie Handling of message
Transmission Complete (Data-Out Failed, NAK Received) or Transmission
Complete (Data-Out Failed, ACK/ NAK Timeout) by ST_IFR machine.
Thanks once again.
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 01:17, George Penokie wrote:
> Sandeep,
>
> I made a slight error in my first note to you. I quoted the paragraph
that
> is the response to a failure in the request to send the DATA frame not
the
> failure of the source to receive the DATA frame. That information is
in
> Table 141 ? Messages sent to the ST_IFR state machine in the last two
> rows. So the message sent to the ST_IFR state machine is either
> Transmission Complete (Data-Out Failed, NAK Received) or Transmission
> Complete (Data-Out Failed, ACK/ NAK Timeout).
>
> Bye for now,
> George Penokie
>
> Dept 9A8 030-3 A410
> E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
> Internal:  553-5208
> External: 507-253-5208
>

> sandeep taneja <sandeep.taneja at mail.nsysinc.com>
> Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
> 06/30/2006 02:33 AM

> t10 at t10.org
> cc
> Mark_Evans at maxtor.com
> Subject
> queries Regarding Transport layer

> * sandeep taneja <sandeep.taneja at mail.nsysinc.com>
> *
> Hello !!
>
> Could anybody help me for solving some doubts in Transport layer.
> I have few doubts regarding implementation of Transport layer state
> machines.
>
> I am referring to SAS2r03a 22 April 2006.
>
> Following are queries :
> 1.How does ST_ITS state machine notify ST_IFR state machine that NAK
or
> ACK/NAK timeout have occurred for DATA frame corresponding to first
> enable burst.Is it going to use same message as it is using for the
DATA
> frame corresponding to XFER_RDY frame?
>
> if yes, then message( Transmission complete(Data-out failed,NAK
> received)corresponding to NAK & message Transmission complete(Data-out
> failed,ACK/NAK Timeout)) ST_ITS uses to notify ST_IFR is given but How
> ST_IFR will handle these message or notify Application layer about
data
> sending failure seems to be missing.
>

> Thanks.
>

> --