Proposed ammendment for 2/4/7 and 2/4/8 concerns

Henry Gabryjelski Henry.Gabryjelski at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 1 17:00:13 PST 2006

* Henry Gabryjelski <Henry.Gabryjelski at microsoft.com>
*
Hello Sergio,
This proposal is not requiring any change in the specification. The
specification already allows the return of 2/4/7 and 2/4/8 error codes
in all the conditions described.  The "proposal" is instead a way to
_AVOID_ changing the specifications.  Pioneer's previous proposal was to
add a mode page to enable/disable 2/4/7 and 2/4/8 error codes to avoid
problems with a single OEM's drive validation suites.  So there is not
any new behavior for the majority of drives.
This issue was first discussed in the October 2006 Mt. Fuji meeting,
again at the November meeting, and I believe is scheduled to be voted
upon in the December meeting.  I do hope you will be able to join us at
this meeting.  I would be happy to discuss not only the root problems
which initiated these discussions, but also the benefits that any hosts
will receive from a responsive drive with you during the meeting breaks.
Thank you,
.