Reserved field validation
p.lavarre at IEEE.org
Mon May 30 08:34:47 PDT 2005
* From the T10 Reflector (t10 at t10.org), posted by:
* Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at ieee.org>
> Application clients could be a fair bit smarter with
> information like this (assuming it is accurate).
> I hope SCSI device firmware folks are reading ...
1) From my perspective, the main obstacle to more rapid progress in
places like this is the absence of host folk - to my eye, we seem awash
with device firmware folk like me, all agreeing with each other over
how mystically buggy the hosts are. Yes, many SCSI device firmware
folk are lurking here. (Though how many SPI vs. FireWire vs. USB vs.
ATAPI vs. SATAPI etc. etc. etc. is harder to know.)
2) Just now, I missed the argument for why a device should respond to
SPC-2 CmdDt set. Also I missed the argument for why a device should
respond other than SK ASC = x 5 20 Unknown Op to the op that is "REPORT
SUPPORTED OPERATION CODES". What user experience changes if the device
adds the cost of these features? Why should the customer pay for this
Curiously yours (and likely to be quiet while traveling),
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org
More information about the T10