Reserved field validation

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Fri May 27 07:55:42 PDT 2005

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
--=_alternative 0051E7848625700E_=

Rich,

There is nothing that I know of in any of the SCSI standards that would
indicate if a logical unit checked reserved fields.

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept 2C6  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

Rich Ramos <t10 at RichRamos.com>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org

05/25/2005 08:02 PM

t10 at t10.org

cc

Subject
Reserved field validation

* Rich Ramos <t10 at RichRamos.com>
*

In SPC-3 (actually for a long time pre-SPC-3), it's been stated that:
"If a logical unit validates reserved CDB fields and receives a
reserved field within the CDB that is not zero, then the logical unit
shall terminate the command with CHECK CONDITION status..."

So what I'm wondering is... Is there a way to find out from a device
if it does said validation?  In other words is there some way to
inquire from the device to see if it does reserved field validation,
other than of course sending a CDB with non-zero values in reserved
fields and seeing if I get a check condition.  I would prefer an
non-"trial and error" method to get a affirmative confirmation/denial
of this option.

Thanks,
Rich
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org

--=_alternative 0051E7848625700E_=

of the SCSI standards that would indicate if a logical unit checked reserved
fields.</font>
Bye for now,<br>
George Penokie<br>
Dept 2C6 &nbsp;114-2 N212<br>
E-Mail: &nbsp; &nbsp;gop at us.ibm.com<br>
Internal: &nbsp;553-5208<br>
External: 507-253-5208 &nbsp; FAX: 507-253-2880<br>
* Rich Ramos <t10 at RichRamos.com&gt;<br>
*<br>
In SPC-3 (actually for a long time pre-SPC-3), it's been stated that:<br>
"If a logical unit validates reserved CDB fields and receives a <br>
reserved field within the CDB that is not zero, then the logical unit <br>
shall terminate the command with CHECK CONDITION status..."<br>
So what I'm wondering is... Is there a way to find out from a device <br>
if it does said validation? &nbsp;In other words is there some way to <br>
inquire from the device to see if it does reserved field validation, <br>
other than of course sending a CDB with non-zero values in reserved <br>
fields and seeing if I get a check condition. &nbsp;I would prefer an <br>
non-"trial and error" method to get a affirmative confirmation/denial
of this option.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Rich<br>
*<br>
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with<br>
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0051E7848625700E_=--