SAS-1.1 PHY - Comments on 05-059r0

Bill Ham bill_ham at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 1 06:46:26 PST 2005

* Bill Ham <bill_ham at ix.netcom.com>
*
Hi,

Actually the fixed and free terms were chosen to avoid conflict with EIA terminology and have nothing to do with political correctness or sexual inferences.  The only issue that I know of on this topic is consistency with SFF and other connector documents.  Personally I prefer plug and receptacle in cases where there is clearly a plug and receptacle based on the physical features of the connector.  Some connectors have both plug properties (i.e., protruding contacts) and receptacle properties (i.e., features designed to accept the plug in the mated condition) so the designation as plug or receptacle may not be as clear as one might think.

Probably the best solution is to use both terms.  For example plug (free) and receptacle (fixed) or whatever applies.

Cheers, Bill