spc3r21c.pdf tupo kib != KiB

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre at IEEE.org
Thu Jan 20 05:53:32 PST 2005

* Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at ieee.org>
*
>>> The phrase "one kibibit is 1 Kib is 1 024 bits" appears in
>
> Further, under recent practices I've seen in the industry for TiB for
> one trillion and TB for 2**40, won't Kib or kiB be somewhat out of
> step and confusing?

Fun.

I trust you agree the http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
that Bob & I cited defines Ti Gi Mi Ki to mean 2 raised to the powers
40 30 20 10, together with T G M K defined to mean 10 raised to the
powers 12 9 6 3, helpfully situated near the pun of "mebibytes"
pronounced like "may be bytes".  Me, I'm now guessing in spc3r21c.pdf
there's some assymetry near the phrase "one kibibit is 1 Kib is 1 024
bits"  that originally misled my eye, but I haven't found it again yet.
  Also now I notice my English and theirs collides: by 40 30 20 10 I
mean a list of four numbers, by their 1 024 they mean one number of
four digits, not two numbers in a list.

PEL

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org