Read Attribute - Incorrect Medium Error?

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 25 09:35:43 PDT 2005

* Kevin D Butt <kdbutt at us.ibm.com>
--=_alternative 005B297207256FEE_=

All,

In SPC-3r22a, clause 6.14.1 READ ATTRIBUTE command introduction the
following exists:
<<If the medium is present but the medium auxiliary memory is not
accessible, the READ ATTRIBUTE command
shall be terminated with CHECK CONDITION status, with the sense key set
to MEDIUM ERROR, and the
additional sense code set to LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, AUXILIARY MEMORY
NOT ACCESSIBLE.>>

Why is it a MEDIUM ERROR when we have a LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY
condition?  MEDIUM ERRORs are taken by applications to be nasty problems
that cause the medium to be called  bad.  In this case, it seems that
the medium just needs to be placed in a different position (e.g. Tape is
in the drive but not yet mounted.  There is no medium error, but the MAM
is not accessible until the medium is mounted.)

I think this is in error and needs to be changed to a NOT READY sense
key.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Kevin D. Butt
Fibre Channel & SCSI Architect, IBM Tape Firmware,
6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ  85744
Tie-line 321; Office: 520-799-5280, Lab: 799-5751, Fax: 799-4138, Email:
kdbutt at us.ibm.com

--=_alternative 005B297207256FEE_=

command introduction the following exists:</font>
the medium auxiliary memory is not accessible, the READ ATTRIBUTE command</font>
status, with the sense key set to MEDIUM ERROR, and the</font>
UNIT NOT READY, AUXILIARY MEMORY NOT ACCESSIBLE.>></font>
a LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY condition? &nbsp;MEDIUM ERRORs are taken by applications
to be nasty problems that cause the medium to be called &nbsp;bad. &nbsp;In
this case, it seems that the medium just needs to be placed in a different
position (e.g. Tape is in the drive but not yet mounted. &nbsp;There is
no medium error, but the MAM is not accessible until the medium is mounted.)</font>
be changed to a NOT READY sense key.</font>
Kevin D. Butt<br>
Fibre Channel &amp; SCSI Architect, IBM Tape Firmware, <br>
6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ &nbsp;85744<br>
Tie-line 321; Office: 520-799-5280, Lab: 799-5751, Fax: 799-4138, Email:
kdbutt at us.ibm.com</font>
--=_alternative 005B297207256FEE_=--