SPC-1, SPC-2 and SPC-3 content question

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) elliott at hp.com
Tue Oct 12 10:06:31 PDT 2004

* "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>

> * Brian Auld <bauld at lefthandnetworks.com>
> *
> Is this an accurate depiction of inquiry page code support (serial
> number vs. device identification), as well as reservation support
> (regular vs. persistent) in SPC1, SPC2 and SPC3?  The
> "mandatory/optional" designation indicates that I found it in the spec

> with no indication of whether is was a mandatory or optional item.
>
> Can I get some feedback as to whether this is more the less accurate,
> and if some of these are, in fact, "optional" or "mandatory".

> Reservation support:
>
>      |Reserve/Release    |Persistent Reservations |
>------+-------------------+------------------------+
>SPC-1 |mandatory/optional?|mandatory/optional?     |
>------+-------------------+------------------------+
>SPC-2 |mandatory/optional?|mandatory/optional?     |
>------+-------------------+------------------------+
>SPC-3 |obsolete           |mandatory/optional?     |
>------+-------------------+------------------------+

The standard defining the peripheral device type (reported in
the standard INQUIRY data) determines whether the commands are
mandatory or optional for that peripheral device type.  SPC is
just a pool from which the command set standards may select
common commands (with a few marked mandatory for all peripheral
device types).

I think the algorithm behind table 42 (spc3r21) is:
M = mandatory for all peripheral device types
O = optional for all peripheral device types
C = see the command set standard for the requirement for the
    peripheral device type in question (could be mandatory
    for some, optional for others)

For direct-access block devices (type 00h):
* SBC-1
    RESERVE (10)/RELEASE (10) mandatory
    RESERVE (6)/RELEASE (6) optional
    PERSISTENT RESERVE IN/OUT optional
* SBC-2
    RESERVE/RELEASE obsolete
    PERSISTENT RESERVE IN/OUT optional

For sequential devices (type 01h):
* SSC-1
    RESERVE/RELEASE mandatory
    PERSISTENT RESERVE IN/OUT optional
* SSC-2
    RESERVE/RELEASE not mentioned (obsolete)
    PERSISTENT RESERVE IN/OUT mandatory

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org