[t13] SCSI ATA f/w revision bytes how many

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Tue May 25 13:49:31 PDT 2004

* Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at pobox.com>
*
Pat LaVarre wrote:
>> The only thing I care about is the 16-byte CDB limit currently in
>> Linux...
>

> If we take advantage of the extra four bytes there, we will not design a
> solution usable by the max-12-CDB-byte connections, in particular normal
> PATAPI, that also wish to give ATA pass thru to hosts that think they
> support only SCSI pass thru.  Those people will therefore push to
> revisit this issue, yet again.

No.  I think you are missing some context...

This opcode is used to tunnel through a _fake_ SCSI layer to reach a
real ATA device behind it.

ATAPI does not come into play here.  This "ata passthru" opcode is only
needed for ATA.  For ATAPI, one does not need to pass through a fake
SCSI layer, but rather avoid the hardware device's SCSI layer and talk
directly to ATA.  Subtle difference... but substantial.

	Jeff

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org