[t13] SCSI ATA f/w revision bytes how many

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre at ieee.org
Sun May 23 07:32:54 PDT 2004

This message is from the T13 list server.

>   * Change behavior of INQUIRY output field 'product revision' from
>     the libata software version number to the first 4 bytes of the
>     ATA device's firmware revision number.

That op x12 "INQUIRY" firmware revision field is bytes x20..23 (32..35).

What follows at offset x24 (36) is something like x14 (20)
vendor-specific bytes.  I'd therefore myself consider,

Copy all the bytes of the ATA device's firmware revision to offset x20
(32).

When thinking as a firmware engineer, I think of those bits as the core
bits out of which all the other fluffier bits flow.  I remember
therefore designing ATA bits within the SCSI limit for translation.  I
suppose I understood those bits should appear left-justified in the
wider field.

Pat LaVarre
http://linux-pel.blog-city.com/read/621270.htm