scsi-1 final draft on the web yes

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre at IEEE.org
Thu May 20 10:48:10 PDT 2004

* Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at ieee.org>
*
> it is no longer an ANSI standard

Deeply fun English, thank you.

I think you're telling me we have two byte for byte identical objects,
one an ANSI standard, one not, distinguished only by When we view them.

The final draft I presume remains a final draft?  The draft by
definition never was a standard, so the standard no longer being a
standard doesn't mean the draft is no longer a draft.  Softcopy wins
over hardcopy, again.

Thank you, I am grinning as I write this.  Serendipitously, I've lately
found a feed for "Yes, Prime Minister".  Do you know that show?  It
satirically focuses on the organisation of the British government, and
therefore naturally often contains metadiscussion of English words much
like my paragraph above.

> The only reasons I could think of
> for needing a copy of SCSI-1
> would be ...
> or someone who is nearly as big a pack rat as I am. :-)

Hi. :-)

> you should be careful about citing it.
> SCSI-1 was superseded ...

Will do.

I cite SCSI-1 only for historical perspective.  For example,

// Question:

Why does does the CDB x 1B 00:00:00 00 00 sometimes surprisingly
actually mean Eject?

// Answer:

Because we of t10.org in SCSI-2 redefined CDB x 1B 00:00:00 00 00 to
mean a non-immediate Stop now clearly distinguished from CDB x 1B
00:00:00 02 00 meaning a non-immediate Eject, rather than defining two
new codes, one meaning only Eject and the other meaning only Stop.

We began with only: "The START/STOP UNIT command ... requests that the
target enable or disable the logical unit for further operations."