MMC spec, Close Track/Session, DVD-ROM compatibility

David Burg dburg at nero.com
Fri May 14 04:24:12 PDT 2004

* "David Burg" <dburg at nero.com>
*
Hello,

Sorry for this late report while a meeting of the MMC WG is held already to
review MMC-4 comments and questions. A colleague transmitted me the follow
remark about MMC specifications:

In the MMC-4 rev 3, as well as in previous revisions, in the description of
the Close Track/Session command for close function 010b (DVD+RW) and 101b
(DVD+R) it is written that the total recorded area or guard zone 2 shall be
recorded up to a radius of 30 mm to assure maximum interchange compatibility
with read only devices.

It seems that this is derived from the specification in the "DVD
Specifications for Read-Only Disc, Part 1, Physical Specifications, Version
1.02, September 1999", page PH-25 and PH-27, "2.6 Recorded Parameters".
There the "Outer diameter of Information area" which contains the Lead-out
and thus the total recorded area is at minimum 70.0 mm or a radius of 35.0
mm.

>From our point of view the description in the MMC specification of Close
Track/Session should also follow this rule so that the total recorded area
should also recorded up to a radius of 35 mm instead of 30 mm.

Best regards,

David Burg

David Burg
Software Development,
InCD Project Leader

Ahead Software AG     phone: +49 (0)7248 911 862 (direct line)
Im Stoeckmaedle 18    fax:   +49 (0)7248 911 888
76307 Karlsbad        email: dburg at nero.com
Germany               http://www.nero.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org