How to detect SES-1 vs. SES-2

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) elliott at hp.com
Wed May 12 10:57:12 PDT 2004

* "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>
*

Knight, Clinton
> Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 9:59 AM
> To: t10 at t10.org
> Subject: How to detect SES-1 vs. SES-2
>
> Given a device's INQUIRY data with the EncServ bit set, how can I tell
> if the device will speak SES-1 or SES-2?  Something else in
> the INQUIRY, perhaps?
>
> Clinton Knight
>
> Adaptec, RTP, NC

For standalone enclosure services processes (SES-2 logical units), there
should be a SES-2 version descriptor in Standard INQUIRY data (bytes
58-73).  It's not mandatory, but a (new) SES-2 implementation has no
good reason not to include one.

For attached enclosure services processes (e.g. a Fibre Channel disk
drive providing a gateway to the ESI interface), I don't know of a
direct way.  If a diagnostic page only defined in SES-2 exists, like:
* Enclosure Busy
* Device Element Status diagnostic page exists (carrying the FC node
name/port name)
* Subenclosure String Out/String In
* Subenclosure Help Text
* Supported SES Diagnostic Pages
then it was probably designed per SES-2 rather than SES-1.  Absence of
one of those pages doesn't mean it is not SES-2, though, since they're
all optional.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org