Posting/archiving .ZIP files on T10.org

Pat LaVarre p.lavarre at IEEE.org
Thu Feb 19 11:12:35 PST 2004

* Pat LaVarre <p.lavarre at ieee.org>
*
John L:

Thanks for sharing your pain.  I grinned and chuckled.  And then I
actually had a possibly useful thought:  You might like a bean-counter
vs. geek compromise I've seen work, specifically:

Some e-mail systems remove the ".exe", ".zip", ".html", suffixes that
Windows trusts unreasonably by substituting the '_' underscore for '.'.
And some servers can mostly-undo any not-too-lossy substitution.

In combination, "mkudffs-cvs.zip" gets passed thru as the attachment
"mkudffs-cvs_zip" which them becomes "mkudff-cvs.zip" on the other end.
However, of course, a file name like "without_extension" also serves up
as "without.extension".

Mostly works can be good enough.

Pat LaVarre

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
To: T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org>
Cc: Mike Van Pelt <mvp at lsil.com>, "Allen, Karen" <Karen.Allen at lsil.com>
Subject: Posting/archiving .ZIP files on T10.org
Date: 19 Feb 2004 10:42:04 -0700

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
Due to the recent round of Trojan horse programs, the LSI Logic network security people have decided to delete any file attachments with an extension of .ZIP. The person receiving the email is told that the attachment was deleted, but this does not do much good when the 'person' is the automation behind the T10 web site. I am attempting to get an exception for the T10.org domain, but have not been successful so far.

Consequently, when attaching ZIP files for posting/archiving on T10.org, please rename these files whatever.ZAP. I'll modify the posting software to rename these files back to .ZIP.

Sorry for this inconvenience,
John

PS: Any .ZIP file you send me also needs to be renamed .ZAP

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.
Colo Spgs, CO 80907

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org