SATA Port Selector

Kido Shogo kido-sxa at necst.nec.co.jp
Tue Feb 10 04:40:23 PST 2004

* "Kido Shogo" <kido-sxa at necst.nec.co.jp>
*
Hi all,

I have some proposals and questions about the SATA Port Selector
in SAS-1.1 rev3.

1. I think the following text is unnecessary for SP3 and SP4 state.
  "If this receives COMWAKE Detected message and phy supports
  attachment to s SATA device and supports attachment to a
  SATA port selector, it shall set the ATTACHED SATA PORT
  SELECTOR bit in the DISCOVER response to one."

  I think the inactive port of the SATA Port Selector sends
  COMWAKE only,  and, the phy which SATA Port Selector attached
  does not move to SP3 or SP4 state.

2. The following text is described in the SP0 state.
   "Any transition to this state shall set to the ATTACHED SATA PORT
   SELECTOR bit in the DISCOVER response to zero. "

   It means that the phy which SATA Port Selector attached repeats
   the ATTACHED SATA PORT SELECTOR bit zero and one.
   I think this action is the problem because SMP initiator detects
   the phy as attached to the SATA Port selector or as not attached
   to the SATA Port selector depending on the timing to transmit
   the Discover.

3. I do not understand the situation that  ATTACHED SATA PORT
   SELECTOR bit is one and ATTACHED SATA DEVICE bit is one
   in the Discover response.

   I think the ATTACHED SATA PORT SELECTOR bit is always zero
   when the phy detects the SATA deivce.

Thanks,
Shogo Kido
 NEC System Technologies, Ltd.