Revised proposal 041210 for Dual-R (dual-r bit)

Kris Schoofs kris.schoofs at scarlet.be
Wed Dec 22 09:39:14 PST 2004

* Kris Schoofs <kris.schoofs at scarlet.be>
--------------020003010503040807030802

Hi Keiji,

Thank you for your reply.

You refer to a dual-r bit in the DVD-R/-RW Write Feature Descriptor. Can
you tell me where exactly this bit is located ?
In the "GETCNFIG.pdf" document (dated december 7), page 290, table 154,
'DVD-R/-RW write feature descriptor', there is currently no mention of
the dual-r bit.

Thanks,

Kris

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp <mailto:keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp>
wrote:

Hi Kris,

Sorry for delay of this reply.

In case of current proposal, you are correct. If a drive supports only

"Profile 0x15 DVD-R dual layer Sequential recording", same command sets

work with Single Layer DVD-R disc except Close Session request. It is

because that DVD-R DL does not have multi-session, then "11b Next
Session

allowed" of Multisession field cannot work. From host point of view, all

other are same then Feature list is same.

But I think READ DISC STRUCTURE command with Format Code values of 20h
is

necessary to write DVD Video data on Dual-R disc, then in DVD-R/-RW
Write

Feature Descriptor, Dual-R bit is necessary to explain as follows.

----Description of Dual-R bit----

The Dual-R bit, when set to 1, shall indicate that the logical unit

supports to write DVD-R Dual layer Ver. 3.0 media. The READ DISC
STRUCTURE

command with Format Code values of 20h shall be supported. The SEND DISC

STRUCTURE command with Format Code values of 20h shall be supported, but

shall be terminated with CHECK CONDITION Status, 5/24/00 INVALID FIELD
IN

CDB when DVD-R Dual layer Ver. 3.0 media is mounted.

---------------------------------

The description of SEND DISC STRUCTURE command with Format Code values
of

20h may be / may not be good. It is necessary if Middle Area became

changeable in future. (When? I do not know.)

By the way, too keep compatibility with existing software, "11b Next

Session allowed" of Multisession field shall close the DVD-R Dual layer

disc Ver. 3.0. So 11b means 00b. How do you think?

Best regards,

Keiji Katata

PIONEER CORP.

Kris Schoofs
<kris.schoofs at scarlet.be> on 2004/12/15 04:28:52

$B08 at h(J:   mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com <mailto:mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com> ,
T10 at t10.org <mailto:T10 at t10.org> ,

        keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
<mailto:keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp>

cc:

bcc:

$B7oL>(J:  Re: Revised proposal 041210 for Dual-R

Hi,

After reading the revised DVD-R Dual Layer disc proposal I have a
question

regarding the addition of new (GET CONFIG) features that are
specifically

related to DVD-R DL.

When determining the write capabilities of a drive (regardless of any
disc

that might be in the drive) I usually check for the presence of the

associated features. So, Feature 0x2A=DVD+RW, 0x2B=DVD+R, 0x3B=DVD+R DL
and

0x2F=DVD-R/-RW.

When I check the feature list (Table 124 - feature list - p. 261-262) it

appears that, even though 2 different methods for DL recording exist,
only

one new feature has been introduced for dual layer recording : Feature
0x33

- Layer jump recording .

To my knowledge 2 different methods exist for dual layer recording,

sequential & layer jump recording. An overview of the associated

(mandatory) features can be found in the profile tables :

* Table 105, p239 : Mandatory features for DVD-R dual layer Sequential

recording

* Table 106, p240 : Mandatory features for DVD-R dual layer Jump
recording

However, it appears that when dealing with dual layer sequential
recording

the mandatory feature list (Table 105, p239) is actually identical to
the

feature list required for single layer DVD-R writing (Table 101, p237).

Therefore, I am inclined to conclude that based on a drive's features
you

cannot distinguish between a single layer recorder and a dual layer,

sequential only, recorder.

Only when dealing with jump recording capable drives an extra feature
has

been added : 0x33, layer jump recording (as can be seen in Table 106,
p240

: Mandatory features for DVD-R dual layer Jump recording).

I am wondering if it is correct to assume that simply by checking
features

it is not possible to detect drives that are capable of sequential DL

recording (but lack the capability of of jump recording) ?

To me it appears that the only way to accurately detect if a drive is DL

write capable is to check the profile list : When profile 0x15
(sequential)

or profile 0x16 (layer jump) is present the drive is capable of writing
DL

discs.

Do you think my assumption correct, or am I missing something ?

Thanks,

Kris

--

** Kris Schoofs -  kris.schoofs at scarlet.be <mailto:kris.schoofs at scarlet.
be>

http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com <http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com>
**

--

** Kris Schoofs -  Kris.Schoofs at scarlet.be <mailto:Kris.Schoofs at scarlet.
be>

[Korkdries 16 - 3583 Beringen - Belgium - +32.475.705065]

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp wrote: Hi Kris, Sorry for delay of this reply. In case of current proposal, you are correct. If a drive supports only "Profile 0x15 DVD-R dual layer Sequential recording", same command sets work with Single Layer DVD-R disc except Close Session request. It is because that DVD-R DL does not have multi-session, then "11b Next Session allowed" of Multisession field cannot work. From host point of view, all other are same then Feature list is same. But I think READ DISC STRUCTURE command with Format Code values of 20h is necessary to write DVD Video data on Dual-R disc, then in DVD-R/-RW Write Feature Descriptor, Dual-R bit is necessary to explain as follows. ----Description of Dual-R bit---- The Dual-R bit, when set to 1, shall indicate that the logical unit supports to write DVD-R Dual layer Ver. 3.0 media. The READ DISC STRUCTURE command with Format Code values of 20h shall be supported. The SEND DISC STRUCTURE command with Format Code values of 20h shall be supported, but shall be terminated with CHECK CONDITION Status, 5/24/00 INVALID FIELD IN CDB when DVD-R Dual layer Ver. 3.0 media is mounted. --------------------------------- The description of SEND DISC STRUCTURE command with Format Code values of 20h may be / may not be good. It is necessary if Middle Area became changeable in future. (When? I do not know.) By the way, too keep compatibility with existing software, "11b Next Session allowed" of Multisession field shall close the DVD-R Dual layer disc Ver. 3.0. So 11b means 00b. How do you think? Best regards, Keiji Katata PIONEER CORP. Kris Schoofs <kris.schoofs at scarlet.be> on 2004/12/15 04:28:52 $B08 at h(J: mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com, T10 at t10.org, keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp cc: bcc: $B7oL>(J: Re: Revised proposal 041210 for Dual-R Hi, After reading the revised DVD-R Dual Layer disc proposal I have a question regarding the addition of new (GET CONFIG) features that are specifically related to DVD-R DL. When determining the write capabilities of a drive (regardless of any disc that might be in the drive) I usually check for the presence of the associated features. So, Feature 0x2A=DVD+RW, 0x2B=DVD+R, 0x3B=DVD+R DL and 0x2F=DVD-R/-RW. When I check the feature list (Table 124 - feature list - p. 261-262) it appears that, even though 2 different methods for DL recording exist, only one new feature has been introduced for dual layer recording : Feature 0x33 - Layer jump recording . To my knowledge 2 different methods exist for dual layer recording, sequential & layer jump recording. An overview of the associated (mandatory) features can be found in the profile tables : * Table 105, p239 : Mandatory features for DVD-R dual layer Sequential recording * Table 106, p240 : Mandatory features for DVD-R dual layer Jump recording However, it appears that when dealing with dual layer sequential recording the mandatory feature list (Table 105, p239) is actually identical to the feature list required for single layer DVD-R writing (Table 101, p237). Therefore, I am inclined to conclude that based on a drive's features you cannot distinguish between a single layer recorder and a dual layer, sequential only, recorder. Only when dealing with jump recording capable drives an extra feature has been added : 0x33, layer jump recording (as can be seen in Table 106, p240 : Mandatory features for DVD-R dual layer Jump recording). I am wondering if it is correct to assume that simply by checking features it is not possible to detect drives that are capable of sequential DL recording (but lack the capability of of jump recording) ? To me it appears that the only way to accurately detect if a drive is DL write capable is to check the profile list : When profile 0x15 (sequential) or profile 0x16 (layer jump) is present the drive is capable of writing DL discs. Do you think my assumption correct, or am I missing something ? Thanks, Kris -- ** Kris Schoofs - kris.schoofs at scarlet.be http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com **

** Kris Schoofs - Kris.Schoofs at scarlet.be