[T11.3] FCP-3 Work Item #4

Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com
Wed Sep 24 16:06:13 PDT 2003

INCITS T11.3 Mail Reflector
********************************

Hi, Horst & Bob.

Thanks for the input.

The problem that I still have to solve is that for a write with FCP_DL too
small, we absolutely cannot write to the medium less data than the CDB
specifies and then return GOOD status.  I would never trust the HBA driver
to see the underrun indication and report a failure to the application so
that it would be aware of the partial write.

As a variant on #2, what would you say to the following?  The target could
move FCP_DL bytes, discard it all, and then report CHECK CONDITION.  It's
certainly inefficient, but that wouldn't matter because we're dealing with
a broken driver, a rare occurrence as you point out.

Would any of the other tapeheads care to wade in on this?

Thanks,

Paul Suhler
Certance

                      Robert Snively
                      <rsnively at brocade        To:       "'Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com'" <Paul.A.Suhler at certance.com>, t10 at t10.org,
                      .com>                     t11_3 at mail.t11.org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      owner-t10 at t10.org        Subject:  RE: [T11.3] FCP-3 Work Item #4

                      09/24/2003 01:56
                      PM

Paul,

Horst is right.

The proper view of this is that the FC-4 layer protocol
defined by FCP has FC components that define the permitted
Fibre Channel and application behavior and SAM compliant
components that define the permitted SCSI behavior.

Buffer allocations can routinely be made with incomplete
knowledge of the expected SCSI data length, and it is these
buffer allocations that must protect themselves and warn of their
violation.  FCP_DL is the Fibre Channel mechanism for that.

In the tape write case you describe, the buffer length is the SCSI
data length, and FCP_DL will always exactly equal the data to
be transferred.  However, this is not a general behavior.
Reads are the most dangerous, since they may transmit data
into other buffers as the Data Buffer Pointer increments
beyond the expected limits.

Admittedly, most HBAs on most ordinary SCSI devices doing
nothing special will find FCP_DL violations only during
program development.

I believe that the present text is still valid and does not
need to be modified.

I believe your suggestion 1 is not advisable because it
requires posting a protocol failure before the protocol
has been violated.

I believe your suggestion 2 is not advisable because it
forces the SCSI layer to detect potential (but not yet
definite) violations of the transmission protocol.

I believe your suggestion 3 is not advisable because it
conflicts with previous successful FCP implementation.
ADT is not a good counter-example, since it uses a simpler
protocol with a private physical layer and a private
layering structure.  FCP on the other hand is one of many
protocols that a Fibre Channel HBA supports, each with its
own mechanism for managing FC buffering and transfers.

Bob

To Unsubscribe: