Unknown command 0x23

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) elliott at hp.com
Thu Oct 16 12:06:01 PDT 2003

* "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>
*
What is your peripheral device type reported in the Standard INQUIRY data?

For these device types:
* direct-access (00h)
* optical memory (07h)
* write-once (04h)
SCSI-2, SPC-n, and SBC-n all agree that opcode 23h is vendor-specific, not reserved.

For the CD-ROM (05h) device type, the standards have changed in how they document opcode 23h:
SCSI-2: vendor-specific
SPC: vendor-specific
MMC-1: vendor-specific
SPC-2/3: optional READ FORMAT CAPACITIES command
MMC-2/3/4: optional READ FORMAT CAPACITIES command (see MMC-4 for the current definition)

(presumably all vendor in the industry agreed to that change; vendor-specific values usually cannot be standardized after they've been labeled as such)

If you're seeing READ FORMAT CAPACITIES being sent to anything other than device type 05h, then the software is confused.

If you're designing a device of type 05h, you should be referencing MMC-4, not SBC-2.

Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

.auto-plus.cz/faq.php

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org