Please review 03-271 regarding basic task management model

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) elliott at hp.com
Sat Oct 11 14:53:25 PDT 2003

* "Elliott, Robert (Server Storage)" <elliott at hp.com>
*
The SIMPLE requirement is right out of 96-198r4 (by someone
named Peter Johansson :-)) and hasn't changed since
being incorporated into SAM-2 revision 5 (13 April 1998).

Separately, I will probably be proposing a way for a logical
unit to indicate which task attributes it supports.  A
logical unit accessed through SBP-3 could indicate that it
only supported ORDERED but not SIMPLE (or vice-versa).

On most protocols, I wouldn't expect that combination to
ever be reported, but since SBP-3 doesn't let the application
client/initiator port send a task attribute, there's no issue
of the logical unit rejecting a harmless SIMPLE task.

In that proposal, I will change the basic task set management
requirement from:
"The only task attribute supported shall be SIMPLE;"
to:
"only the SIMPLE task attribute is supported, or only the
ORDERED task attribute is supported".

Would that suffice?

[Peter, please forward to the SBP-3 list]
Rob Elliott, elliott at hp.com
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org